The Joys of Teenagers
And no, I’m not being sarcastic. I’ve been volunteering at a local high school for a couple months now, and I can honestly say it is one of the highlights of each week. This is a huge change from the stress of student teaching last year…let’s just say the high school wasn’t my favorite place to be during that span of time. I’m so glad I’m getting the chance to be around these students as a friend and not as a teacher. Here are a couple things I’m loving about teenagers these days.
1. First and foremost, I’m loving that I’m no longer in that life-stage. Just had to put that out there.
2. They’re insightful…way more insightful than people give them credit for.
3. They consider candy (British translation: sweets?) lunch. I’m sorry, but I don’t think I would be satisfied with a gobstopper for a meal.
4. They’re just about the only ones here that might consider being an American as an asset. I’ll take what I can get.
5. They’re in the middle of this difficult and exciting process of learning and embracing who they are. So hard, but so good.